Thursday, March 15, 2012

Not-so-fast

“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 
But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." 
--Matthew 6:16-18

Here's what I've noticed lately: I find myself running into the same stuff, in different places, and feel like that's what I am supposed to blog about. Sometimes it's because I am deficient there (a lot of times, okay?) and sometimes it seems there are questions to be asked or observations to be made.

So the past few days, it's been fasting, or prayer and fasting.

We are halfway into Lent. Many, many people give something up for Lent. Is this the same as fasting? Maybe. Maybe not.

I am not going to take that one on. But here are some random thoughts about fasting.

First, fasting does not always mean food. It can mean food, but it can also mean taking time away from the Internet or driving-- or speaking. Giving something up as a fast is only part of the story.

It's what you do instead that can make all the difference.

In a perfect world, fasting time is filled with time with God. 

This Lent, besides taking on this blogging effort, I have also given up soda. I had become aware of just how much I was drinking and decided to step away from that.

I have not been all that successful, but it's been by deliberate choice. When I was sick, only ginger ale was going to help the tummy. So I didn't casually lapse. I deliberately stepped. For what that's worth.

So I start up again-- and I slip again.

Some people try to give up cigarettes for Lent. When they fail, then throw in the towel and give up. 

Are you catching a bigger picture in this?

Every day, we start afresh. Every day, we muck it up again. Every day, God picks us up and gives us another shot-- which is why it is so vital to spend time with God. Whether it's soda or cigarettes, email or ice cream, we are filling our lives with something. If we step away from that something, why not turn to God to fill its place?

I guarantee, it will make it easier to be less miserable about doing without whatever it is.

But be honest: Why are you doing what you are doing? God knows already. Be honest with yourself. Fasting, for example, is not dieting.

Also ask yourself: April 9, when Easter is passed, what then? Will I continue to observe the fast or will I simply go back to the way I was before? (This may help you understand why you chose to fast in the first place.)

Lord Jesus, fill the empty spaces in our lives. May we hunger for you alone, to meet our most desperate desires. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment