Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Me-- and Thee

"I will bring him near and he will come close to me, 

   for who is he who will devote himself 
   to be close to me? 
declares the LORD. 

So you will be my people, 
and I will be your God.” 
--Jeremiah 30:21b-22 

(In Eugene Peterson's The Message, Jeremiah 30:22 reads, "You will be my very own people, 
and I will be your very own God.")

Lots of talk everywhere these days about "relationship." Whether it's relationship with one another, or the "need for a personal relationship with God," it's all about how we relate in community.

So that got me to thinking about my own relationship with God, because I believe that probably determines, to a large part, how I relate to others, as well.

(Now first off, let me state clearly and unabashedly that this is my opinion, my experience and not, in any way, intended to sound normative or prescriptive. Individual results may vary.)

I suppose this started because of the many pictures and quotes that pop up on Facebook. Recently there was a string of (in my ops) happy dappy Jesus loves me sooo much I can't help myself kinds of things, and on that particular day, I remember thinking, "Wow, I am not feeling the love like that-- at all."

And I realized, more often than not, I do not feel that Julie-Andrews-twirling-on-a-hillside, giddy kind of happiness when I think about Jesus or God.

My cup runneth over once in awhile, to be sure, but much of the time it's more of a slow, gentle, warming kind of simmer. A jacuzzi of love and grace that tickles once in awhile, but mostly envelopes me, heals me, fills me with something-- amazing. Comforting. 

And I think I tend to be the same way with friends, as well. Sometimes I am sooo happy to see you or hear from you, it's hard to keep from racing around the yard hollering and kicking up grass. But most days, your presence is such gift, such delight that I am content-- yes, that's the word-- content to simply enjoy the moments we have. Together.

What about you? What kind of relationship do you have with the Almighty? 

Have you ever stopped to think about it? Now is a good time.

And just as important, how about your fellow pilgrims on the journey? How do you love them?

Precious Lord, I am humbled by your presence, in awe of your grace-filled love for your foolish child. teach me to love as you love, without judgment, without barriers-- without end. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment