Thursday, March 22, 2012

Excuses, excuses

Moses said to the LORD, “O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.”
The LORD said to him, “Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.”

But Moses said, “O Lord, please send someone else to do it.”
--Exodus 4:10-13

If I believed in reincarnation, I just might suspect I was Moses in my former life. I have dragged me feet, offered more "reasons" why God has got to have the wrong girl here-- just like Moses.

And just like with Moses, I keep getting reminders. Who made you in the first place, child? Who gave you the gifts you have?

And why is it, heidi, that you are perfectly happy using those gifts in other aspects of your life, but balk at dedicating them-- to me?

Let the stammering and stuttering begin.

At one point, someone had the unmitigated gall to inform me that those eighteen years teaching small children, I had been in ministry to those families. Now I was just making it official.

Sheesh. And some people say there are no prophets any more.

If this post were an episode of Sesame Street, it would be brought to you today by the letters E and X.

As in, excuses

But also example. We are not on this journey alone or without models.

How about extraordinary? We are God's most perfect creation, in God's own image. How can we fail if we follow our Father's footsteps?

Excellent. God's plan for our lives far exceeds anything we can dream up on our own.

Expect. Believe in yourself. 

Exchange these lazy excuses and think, instead, like the prophet Isaiah. 

"Here am I, Lord. Send me."

Gracious Lord, thank you for never, ever sending us out alone to do something for which we are not equipped. Help us to humbly find our way, seek your path and follow. No excuses. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment