Saturday, March 24, 2012

More Boy Scout theology

“No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."
“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because 
the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him." 
--Matthew 24:36, 42-44

It's a big day here in my house. I am getting a new garage door. And-- a garage door opener. You know-- the kind where you sit in your car, push a button and voila! Up goes the door, all by itself. My upper body-building routine now will consist solely of lifting grandchildren. No more clean-and-jerk with the garage door, nosirree.

I am entering the twentieth century. Who knows what's next-- cable TV?

So I went out this morning, scanned the situation and realized: there were some things to deal with before the Sears guys returned. They'd been out a couple of weeks ago, measured, re-measured, all that stuff. (Ordered me a custom-fit door. I am that special.)

I knew they were coming, but acted as if I did not. So now, here I was, at the last minute, scurrying around, moving things, filling big black trash bags with stuff that's needed removing for-- well, for a very, very long time.

I sorted out things that were still useful, just needing a new setting (like maybe my kids' houses). 

I found a terrific toy from my son's childhood, cleaned it up really well-- and am planning on re-gifting it at Easter. (Shhh . . . . lol)

But I admit, I did pretty much a last-minute, half-effort job. I just did what I had to do for now. The rest-- well, the rest can wait for another day.

And then my mind wandered to the rest of my life. 

Jesus will be back. He promised. And he also told us no one, not even he, knows the day nor the hour when he will return.

So we ought to be living every day as though Jesus is about to appear. As if we could lift our eyes and see his jet circling, preparing to land at any moment. (I know, I know. You get the idea, though, don't you?)

Even as we believe God's grace is sufficient, still Jesus reminds us that there will be sheep and there will be goats, and we may think we are sheep and those people over there are the goats-- but we could have it wrong. We do not know.

Do we look at the messy corners of our lives and think, "Well, I am really busy today. Maybe I can spend an hour Sunday morning and clean this up a bit"? (Never mind that Jesus just might show up Saturday night at a bar, or a place like AfterHours Denver.)

How boldly and honestly do we peer into that pile of junque? How much of it do we "share" with others-- whether they want it or not?

We are a week away from Holy Week. Next Sunday, Palm Sunday, Jesus entered Jerusalem in triumph, greeted by throngs of adoring followers and fans. 

Five days later, he had been scourged and crucified. He knew-- but we never know.

God has a great big box waiting for all the junque we care to pitch. He will take it all and keep it-- unless, of course, we choose to keep grabbing it back. 

Where shall I begin?

Gracious, forgiving Father, thank you for looking past my messy corners and loving me anyway. Help me clean up my corners (and the rest of my life, as well). Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment