Monday, March 26, 2012

Lord, help me.

In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge:

Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 
--2 Timothy 4:1-2

A few days ago I got some exciting, terrifying news. I am going to be giving a homily on Maundy Thursday.

I know, I know. You're thinking, what's she scared of? She went to seminary, she is following a Call to ministry-- isn't she? What's the big deal? And you are correct. Sort of.

I did finish my degree. I hold a Master of Divinity-- with Honors, no less. And yes, I am following God's Call on my life. (It took me awhile to stop the fighting, but yes.) And I did learn to preach from two very fine models. (One has just recently been named president at Colgate Rochester Crozier Divinity School, and Ashland already misses his dynamic presence around campus.)

All these things are small potatoes, however, in light of the greater charge we have every time we step into a pulpit or behind a lectern to offer a word from God. To correct, rebuke and encourage. All in one homily?

I have been off this bicycle for a while. It is Time to get back on and ride, but I am admittedly a wee bit nervous.

The traditional view holds that Paul wrote these words to Timothy, a young Christ-follower whom Paul loved like a son. And looking at this letter as a whole-- well, it is a homily, following the advice Paul gives right in these two opening verses. He corrects any mistaken thinking Paul believes Timothy may be engaged in (or considering); he rebukes him as gently as Paul ever does anything-- and he encourages him to keep faith in the Lord, get out there and "play ball!"

And in the next verses, Paul points out why the charge to preach the Word is such a difficult one: 

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. 
Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers 
to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry. (2 Timothy 4:3-5)

Ouch. That stick was mighty sharp there, Paul. Surely a preacher would never pander to their audience-- would he (or she)? Arguably, there is a fine line between pandering and making a passage relevant in a modern context. (Many would disagree and say the truth is the truth, period. The truth is the truth-- but of what use is it if no one understands? As Paul wrote to the church at Rome: How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to themAnd how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” [Romans 10:14-15])

So yes, I do take this charge seriously. And I know I cannot do this alone or depend on my own understanding (Proverbs 3:5). 

Most wise Lord, open my eyes to your Word, my heart to your message, and my lips to speak what your children need to hear. Amen.

>gulp<

No comments:

Post a Comment