Thursday, March 8, 2012

Coming through. . . .

Which is easier: to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up, take your mat and walk’? --Mark 2:9

This story of the friends who love their brother so much, they literally remove the roof to bring him into the presence of the Lord, is a very sensory one. 

You can sense the calm of Jesus the teacher, the inquisitiveness of this large crowd packed into a small place. 

You can hear the mutterings of the Pharisees, even before Jesus pronounces this man healed and forgiven.

And into the midst of it all, here he comes!

The roof is peeled back. Dirt and grass are shaking loose into the faces of those gathered-- and this man, this paralytic too frail even to carry his own mat, gets that coveted seat, right there in the FRONT ROW!

I am trying to imagine this happening on a Sunday morning in this day and age.

I am wondering how the patriarchs and matriarchs in our congregations-- and the pastors, for that matter-- would react if suddenly these pushy young men shoved their way down front, desiring a healing touch for their friend.

I am also wondering if I have even one friend who would do this for me-- or if there is one person for whom I would do this. I hate to admit it: Quite probably not. On both counts.

But the other thing I am stuck on here, is the parallel between healing and forgiveness of sins, and why the one would be more difficult to offer (accept?) than the other.

It seems so difficult, sometimes, to offer forgiveness without conditions, without "but" or "even though."

Really, truly letting it go.

And-- it can be hard to accept that forgiveness, believing there must be an underlying motive. (Or is all this just me?)

But when Jesus offers unconditional forgiveness, it's exactly that: unconditional. (Although he does, repeatedly, suggest that we "go and sin no more." Repeatedly.) 

It is a healing gift to the soul.

And it is freedom.



Lord Jesus, help me to live like you, to love like you-- and to offer forgiveness. Set me free from my self. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment