Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Path. . . .

Some people always have to have a path. They just have to know where they're going-- and how they're going to get there. I think these are the folks who created MapQuest and GPS. And that's fine, I suppose, sometimes.

If you have someplace you have to be, and a time you have to get there-- best know where you're going.

But every now and then, I believe it's important to ditch the path and wander. Why not?

What's the worst that can happen? You get lost. (And you may even have to ask someone for directions. Gasp!)

Years ago when I first moved to a new town, I had a mission: I started at our apartment-- and I just drove. I paid little attention to the ways I was turning or the streets I was on.

I set out to get lost.

And then-- I set out to find my way home again. And I made it home to write about it.

I think life's like that. Once in awhile, just stop. Put it down, whatever it is you are carrying, and go away. Try to get lost.

Because you just might find that in getting lost, you find part of yourself you didn't know was missing.

Forty days Jesus was in the desert, and wild beasts cared for him. Angels hovered over him.

Where will you go today?  Leave the path behind. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment