Thursday, February 19, 2015

LOOK!

(During Lent, I will be following the photo prompt words from Rethink Church, but using them to create word pictures. Discipline, discipline, discipline.)

It started early in the morning, on the first day of spring. Those cramps somehow felt different, not the usual stuff. I wondered, could this be it-- finally? Was this labor-- for real?

In due time, we headed to the hospital, taking an alternate route because the city was in the midst of a hundred-year flood. The hospital admitted me, and the games began. (It wasn't always pretty-- I remember quite clearly having moments of wanting to throttle that man who had done this to me!) After what seemed like forever, there was one big push-- and our son entered the world.

The nurse swaddled him up and handed him to my husband, who brought him to where I could see him. Ten tiny toes, ten perfect little fingers.

And those eyes! Those eyes, big as could be, slowly taking in this world that he had been hearing for so long-- now opening up before him. 

As I gingerly stroked my son's hand, his eyes met mine. They were wide with wonder, as if he was aware that these people he was seeing now, for the first time, he somehow already knew! 

I looked. He looked. And in the silence and wonder, we truly saw one another for the very first time.

And it was very good. Thirty-two years later, it is still very good.

God saw all that God had made, and it was very good.

Open your eyes today. Look-- and see your world through the fresh eyes of a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment