Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sukey : )

 Abraham gave the name Isaac [which means "he laughs"] to the son Sarah bore him. 

Abraham was a hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him.
 Sarah said, “God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me.” --Genesis 21:3, 5-6


What's in a name, anyway? 

Shakespeare reminds us that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. 

And I imagine we all know at least one person who perhaps might have put a l-i-i-i-i-t-t-l-e more thought into the names they gave their children.

Our names remind us of who we are. In some cases, they help us become who we are. For instance, I have to believe a dwarf named Grumpy is never, ever going to a fun guy.

Now you are wondering-- what does all this have to do with a very cute, very soft elephant? A lot, actually.

This cuddly friend came into my life recently and needed a name. But I didn't have one right at the tip of my tongue, so I asked a friend for help.

Quick as a flash, she says, "Well, what's the Greek word for 'prayer'? Or the verb, since that is, after all, how the whole elephant thing started for you anyway."

What a good idea!

Oddly enough, while much of my Greek has left me, carried away by the pneuma, it did not take me long at all to remember the word for "prayer."

Proseukomai. Yep-- I even remember it's a deponent verb. And I can still see the goofy images from our Greek study book, that went along with learning the deponent endings. Oh, my! A tie. . . . My Greek professor would be so proud.

Anyway-- 

This beautiful little elephant, released from the attic to be about in the world, has a name.

Her name . . . is Sukey. 

And she has joined Skippy the bush kangaroo, Wally the koala and Reese the monkey, watching over my slumber.

Gracious Lord, thank you for the little things, and thank you for reminding us that you have called each of us by name, a name given with love and caring, perfect for who we are created to be as children of the Almighty Father. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment