Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Remember.

"For dust you are 

   and to dust you will return.” 
-- Genesis 3:19b

(This may be good news, or it may be other news. But I have decided to attempt to blog every day throughout this period of Lent. Thus begins a personal journey undertaken publicly. My prayer is that somehow, my words, my heart, my journey might speak to yours.)

Today, in the Christian year, is Ash Wednesday, the first day of the season of Lent. 

For some, it becomes a time of denial, of "giving up." Maybe it's chocolate, or cigarettes; maybe it's swearing or television. For others, it becomes a time of "adding on," a season to strive to do more for those whose paths cross our own. We may decide to serve a community soup kitchen, or knit prayer shawls.

The season, for me, becomes a time to remember, to reflect on who I was, who I still am, and who God has created me to be. 

It is a season of confession, of repentance-- of transformational beginnings.

We came from the dust of the earth, formed by God's own loving Hand, breathed to life with God's own holy Breath. We are created in the Image of the Divine, the Imago Dei.

And as the Imago Dei, we are, in so many cases, the first and possibly only glimpse of the Almighty someone may see today.

Kinda makes you think, doesn't it?

As I walk through this day, what is my life saying? Between the words? In the margins?

Lord Jesus, my prayer is this: May my hand fit ever so perfectly within your leading hand, may my steps match your rhythm. And may I truly be the Imago Dei for a lost or troubled soul, today and each day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment