Thursday, October 4, 2012

Just-- beat it.

They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, 
nor will they train for war anymore. --Isaiah 2:4b

This passage is a comforting, hopeful, loving little bit. It comes early in the book of the prophet Isaiah, before the Almighty's message becomes one of judgment. The words here are lovely-- but seem, to me, somewhat agrarian for this city girl-- and a bit outdated. 

So I was wondering what it might mean, how it might look-- to me, today, in the heart of the city. So here is my story:

My mother and sister are coming for a visit soon. This is never a big deal for me. I am who I am, and they are family. So I seldom stress about whether the house is super tidy or any such stuff.

Then I spotted a Groupon deal for 51% off housecleaning services. Two hours for a ridiculously cheap price. 

I looked around, saw the accumulation of dust in the corners and decided it was worth it. Definitely.

So we emailed back and forth. I gave them my dates, they responded that they were nearly booked, but had time in an afternoon, a week before my family was coming. It was very short notice-- a mere two days' lead time-- but I jumped on it.

And, as we silly women do, I set aside time to "pre-clean," to pick up the junk, shrink piles where possible, stuff like that.

I was ready, and I was psyched. 

The morning they were to come, I received an email: "We are so very sorry, but due to a family emergency, we are unable to come when we planned, and will not be available for appointments until [after your family has gone home]. We will contact you to reschedule."

I admit it: The first word to cross my lips was my favorite one. And one that often brings "the look," and a comment-- "You're a pastor?" Ha. Yep. And human, too.

After all, the only reason I bought that Groupon was to have this place spiffed up before my family came. I had spent a whole evening pre-cleaning. And now-- well, sheesh. 

For about five minutes, I allowed it to be all about moi. I brandished my sword mightily, felt distinctly hurt and miffed. It was a little "war" within.

And then another voice seemed to be saying, "You-- are a pastor."

And in that moment, I had the opportunity to beat that nasty little sword into a plowshare.

These women had a family emergency. It was serious enough to cause them to have to close up shop for over a week. That is a long time for a small business owner. Believe me, I know. I was one for a time.

And I stopped, right then, with the pity party and offered prayer for them both.

I think this is what this passage is about, what it looks like to me, today.

Taking a step back from feeling slighted, or ridiculed, or angrily blasted, and instead of responding in kind, turning the other cheek. 

Choosing to offer love, peace and a prayer instead of blustering and bile.

Today, October 4, is the Feast day for St. Francis of Assisi. This lover of God offers many memorable life bits, but here is his most famous prayer:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand; 
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment