Sunday, October 21, 2012

"Coincidence"?

Keep on loving each other as brothers (and sisters). 
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. --Hebrews 13:1-2

Ever have one of those moments when suddenly, ever so briefly, God's plan just pops into focus and you see Divine fingerprints-- all over the place? That was my Sunday afternoon.

It began with worship, as usual, and after worship, my usual time of prayer with a small group. We shared our concerns, celebrated the beauty outside the window, prayed for our community. You know-- just another Sunday in the Circle. 

I don't know why, exactly, but after the Circle of Prayer broke up, I just decided the day was too beautiful to waste. So I threw my stuff in my car, left Sherwood in the church parking lot and took a walk.

My church is neatly perched above the Wade Park Oval, a lovely place for a stroll. I tucked my camera in my pocket, took a walk (and took some pictures) and just enjoyed the stunning beauty of the season.

As I headed back towards Sherwood, who was waiting so patiently, I saw a young woman, probably in her thirties, striding up the front steps of the church. She tried the main doors, first one and then the other, and finding them locked, slowly started back down the steps.

I called to her, said i wasn't sure how much help I could be-- but did she need some help?

She stopped, slowly replied no . . . but by then, I was close enough, I no longer had to yell.

She told me she just likes to visit churches and sit in the quiet. Her accent told me immediately: she was not from around here.

I asked if she would like to walk with me, and we could try some other doors together and see if one would open. She smiled and agreed. (I knew which door would likely be open. Was that cheating?)

As we went in through the lower door and made our way up the stairs, I introduced myself and asked her name. Julia. And her accent? Yep. German. Turns out she was from Dusseldorf, had been in Cleveland for seven weeks and was headed home the next day.

We wandered into the sanctuary, with its high ceilings, magnificent stained glass and Moravian star. It's an amazing space, and Julia was appropriately awestruck. I asked if she would like to see the chapel, as well, and she said, "Yes, of course!" So we walked together back down the aisle. 

And she shared why she seeks out these quiet churches, just to sit.

"Two years ago, my husband died. He had a heart attack. He was here one hour and then gone the next."

How about that. Of all the churches in the area, she is drawn to this one. And the two of us discovered, in that moment, that we share a deeply personal story.

We talked about what it's like, about the people who would be so much happier if we would just "get over it" and move on. About times when we have been knocked flat-- by a song, by a glimpse of someone who looks just like "him." She was so grateful to speak with someone who had a clue what it was like (although I readily admitted I could not imagine losing my husband at her even younger age).

I asked Julia if she would like to just sit by herself in the quiet for a while. She seemed surprised that we would allow her to do that, but immediately said yes. So I gave her a hug, made sure she knew how to get out of the church when she was ready, and took my leave.

* * * * *
All of this, just to say-- you never know. You never, ever know what God might be up to, and where God will use you. I will probably never see Julia again, but in this moment, in this space, there was a bond that cannot be explained.

And I am okay with that.

O Wise One, thank you for glimpses into your plan, however brief. Help us to be aware, to follow your nudges, for we never know. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment