Sunday, June 3, 2012

Just my size.

Saul dressed David in his own tunic. He put a coat of armor on him and a bronze helmet on his head. David fastened on his sword over the tunic and tried walking around, because he was not used to them.
“I cannot go in these,” he said to Saul, “because I am not used to them.” 
So he took them off. Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd’s bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine. --1 Samuel 17:38-40

I have a new job! After not having had to apply for a job for over twenty years, to have had such success and so little relative pain is blessing, indeed. This is just one more place in my life where the God-fingerprints are all over it. And I am so grateful-- and just a weeeee tiny bit nervous.

I am following a much-beloved man in this position of Coordinator of Pastoral Care. I am new to this place, new to this position-- but God truly does equip the called. And over time, I am sure, I will come to recognize my equipment.

This morning, as word got around, people congratulated me, told me I would be a great addition, etc. And then this:

"You sure have some big shoes to fill!"

Yep. I sure do. But today I am not worried, because yesterday a dear friend shared an invaluable story that I did not know I would be telling-- and retelling-- today.

He talked about coming to a new church as pastor, and on one of the first Sundays, for the Children's Sermon, bringing in a big cardboard box filled with his shoes. Tennis shoes, flip flops, winter galoshes-- everything that would fit, all his and his alone.

One by one, he would take the shoes out of the box, reflect with the kids on what kind of a shoe it was, and what he might do while wearing it.

And when he got to the bottom of the box and there were no more shoes left, he would look at the children (knowing the adults were listening, as well), and say:

"Well-- I have looked all through this box of shoes, and I don't see a single shoe that belongs to Pastor Jones [the previous pastor]. So I think I will just wear my own shoes, instead of trying to fill his."

And when it came time to move along, the shoes came out again, and he would again remind "the children" that the next pastor would be bringing his own shoes and did not need to fill anyone else's.

* * * * *

My shoes are comfy. I am used to wearing them: the Lands' End mocs, the sandals and the walking shoes. And they are perfectly formed to these feet, these former dancer's feet that will never win a beauty contest-- But 

How beautiful on the mountains
 are the feet of those who bring good news,
who proclaim peace,
who bring good tidings,
who proclaim salvation,
who say to Zion, 
"Your God reigns!"
--Isaiah 52:7

My shoes are fitted for mjourney. And so are yours. 

Holy, loving God, thank you for making each of us-- perfectly fitted for what you would have us do. There is much to do. Thank you for sending pilgrims along the way to journey with us. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment