Monday, June 25, 2012

Even me? (Especially me.)

The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’ 
--Matthew 25:40

I have been sitting a lot lately with this whole sheep-and-goats parable. It started as questions seeking answers: Can one preach sheep without preaching goats? (No. I think not.) If you are telling this passage, are the sheep on your right or on the congregation's right? (The passage says the sheep are on the King's right.) And how can you tell this without leaving half the congregation feeling like goats-- and scarred (or scared)? (Still working on this.)

Then I started thinking differently about it, as I found myself talking with people about the Second Commandment. The one about loving yourself.

Too often, people say things like, "I really struggle with loving myself. I am not that lovable." Or, "If I spend money on something for me, to make myself feel loved-- well, maybe I should have spent it on food for the poor instead. They need food more than I needed a new (fill in the blank here)."

Sorry, friends. This is foolishness, this kind of thinking. And it is also unscriptural.

If you believe (as I do) that Jesus promised and sent the Holy Spirit to dwell within us, is this not a little bit of God? So if you find it difficult to love yourself-- are you not telling God that he is hard to love? Or that human flesh somehow makes God unlovable? (Tell that one to the One who put on flesh, just so we might find him more easy to understand and to love.)

* * * * *

In John 17, as Jesus' final hour is approaching, he spends a great deal of time in prayer. And where does he begin? By asking God to be sure the disciples are well-fed and safe? Nope.

He begins by praying for himself.

Check it out here:John 17 Jesus prays in much the same way he instructs the disciples to spread the Good News, in Acts 1:8. He begins closest to home, with himself, them prays for those in his "inner circle," then for all believers. 

Pebble in a pond. Ripple effect. Love is like that.

* * * * *

Ever taken a trip in an airplane? Remember how, before takeoff, the flight attendants go through the safety procedures? What do they tell you about using the oxygen masks?

Be sure your own mask is in place before helping another with their mask.

In other words, self-care, self-love are necessary before we can effectively serve others.

* * * * *

I think some believe humility requires them to say things like, "Oh, I just feel so wrong loving myself. I need to love everyone else more than myself!"

False.

We are all God's beloved creation. We are all worthy of receiving love. 

And in the case of the sheep and the goats, I tell you the truth.

Whatever you do for one of the least of these-- or fail to do-- you do (or fail to do) for the Lord.

Failing to love oneself is treating one of the least of these, you, as if you do not matter. 

Because you, my friend, are a worthwhile child of God. And you deserve all God's perfect goodness. 

Now go ahead. Love yourself. 

And if that involves dark chocolate-- love me, too, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment