Sunday, January 29, 2012

(What? You mean ME?)

"and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life." (Neatly proof-texted from Deuteronomy 30:20)


Someone today, as I shared where God seems to be currently steering my life, remarked, "I am happy you can rejoice, because God is leading you!"


Before I go any further-- if you find sarcasm offensive, stop reading. Now. See you next month.


God does not "lead" me.


God tried that. It never really worked all that well. I am such a bull-headed, headstrong fool of a child.


No. God does not lead me.


God stands behind me, quietly whispers where he would like me to go, what he would like me to do. I brush him aside, wave him off like a pesky mosquito.


God stands on the tarmac, waving those brilliant orange lights, trying to get my attention, gesturing towards the open runway-- and I am standing with my head down, straining to read the fine print on my baggage claim.


God arranges for seventy-six trombones, a full percussion section, cheerleaders with flags and pompons-- and I am digging in the bottom of my purse for ear plugs. Too loud!


It seems, so often, I just don't get it. 


But God keeps offering it. 


Child, over here! Jeremiah 29:11-13. Jeremiah 29:11-13! I mean that. i really do have a plan, and it is so much better than you can imagine. Ask. Seek. Find. Stop knocking-- just come inside.


I am waiting. Let me show you-- a little more. 


This week, me and God are like Thelma and Louise. (They used bad grammar, too. Don't bother correcting the editor.) Yep, Thelma and Louise. Only this time, it is all about life.


God is in the driver's seat, and I am strapped in next to him. These eyes are as big as saucers.


Gently he is revving the engine. (Are you ready, child? Ready for the unknown?)


Oh, God-- are you sure this is where you want me? 


Really sure?


(Child-- trust. me. Jeremiah 29:11.)


>Gulp<


Can I have another swig of Living Water? Another reminder? How much you loved me, poured out your life, for me


And still, I avert my eyes, I study my plans. They come up so short when laid next to yours.


Okay, God. Let's go. Let's do this thing, this new, exciting, totally unanticipated-- plan.


That first step is a doozie. . . .




"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment