Friday, November 22, 2013

Inside Out

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. . . . Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. --1 John 4:7, 11

My heart has been broken again as the United Methodist Church, choosing Discipline over Scripture in my opinion, punished Rev. Frank Schaefer for being a loving parent and presiding over a same-sex marriage ceremony for his son.

This church I grew up in, with its winsome theology of love and acceptance, has broken my heart. Again. (I am not ordained, and with this latest series of events, I don't exactly feel like pursuing ordination boldly. It would likely end poorly.)

I have many friends in other denominations who ask me why I stay. Some days, I wonder. 

But then I remember our Colombian foreign exchange student, Jorge, and the wisdom his father shared with him, and he, with us.

Jorge's father is quite wealthy in his country, a wise businessman who would do well in any country. Because he is well off, he has sometimes been fearful for his life as the FARC rebels kidnap and hold hostage those who can afford the ransom.

Jorge asked his father: Why do you stay? What keeps you in this country? Why should I stay?

His father explained that successful, world-altering change seldom comes from the outside. (There are many wars in America's history that attest to that fact. Iraq and Afghanistan come to mind most recently.)

Sure, people can take their knowledge and expertise and move to the United States or Europe, make lots of money and be successful-- but what about those left behind in Colombia? They continue to live in fear. Their lives remain unchanged, even as these successful people send money back to their families.

Jorge's father was adamant: If I love my country, if I want Colombia to be a better place for my children's children, I must stay and work for change-- from the inside. 

Unjust laws, dangerous practices must be corrected-- not by foreign countries sending aid or armies, but by Colombians who love their country enough to want it to be different. Better.

So for me, in this season, this is why I will continue to be a part of the United Methodist Church, broken heart and all. I believe strongly enough in the wonderful Wesleyan roots to stay and work towards change.

I belong to a Reconciling Ministries Network congregation. I am a Reconciling United Methodist. I choose to be a voice of love in a world that would often rather divide than unite. Pull apart than come together.

So I stay. But I do not stay silently in the shadows. You are welcome: in my church, in my life, on my journey. Please know that God loves you, just the way you are. And so do we.


Loving God, as you first loved us, guide us, lead us to love others. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment