Saturday, August 17, 2013

How did he know???

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future." --Jeremiah 29:11

Tonight I just want to share a story. I needed this. You might, too.

A couple weeks ago, I had something happen that left me puzzled. In the middle of the day, as I was going about my life, I had this sense. God seemed to pull me aside and place a name on my heart, someone I had not seen in a couple of years. I didn't understand why, out of the blue, this man's name was in my mind. I will call him Cedric. After puzzling over that for longer than I care to admit, I did the only thing that made any sense. 

I prayed for him. (And even that didn't exactly make sense at the time.) 

A couple days later, I received word that Cedric had been hospitalized. Needless to say, that led me, again, to prayer. 

A few days ago, I managed to go pay Cedric a visit at the hospital, and I am so glad I did.

He was in a common space when I arrived, and I am not sure I would have recognized him if I hadn't known it was him. He seemed even more slight than the last time I had seen him. His hair was longer and more scraggly, more grey than I remembered.

But when he saw me, he recognized me right away, called me by name, and his face lit up, smile spreading from ear to ear.

We spoke for a little while about him and his family, how he was feeling-- you know. The usual pastoral conversation. It was good to catch up. He seemed so very glad for the visit.

And we prayed. Cedric held my one hand between his two hands, and I rested my other hand on his shoulder. His hands felt dry and weathered, hands that had worked very, very hard in life. 

"Amen." "Amen . . . mmm-hmm . . . amen."

But it didn't end there.

Cedric kept my hand between his two workman's hands, looked up at me and said, "You know, when your husband . . . when Rich left us . . . you really started to find yourself. You are a very strong person, and you are really following what God wants you to do. And it's so good to see you. So good."

Did you see how that happened?

I went to visit Cedric. I went to offer hope, encouragement and love.

And in the blink of an eye, the blessing rained down on me instead.

The prophetic word of hope I needed. The affirmation that I was following faithfully.

Imagine that. 

How often that happens, that in blessing another, we are blessed ourselves.

You just never know, do you. Never ever ever.


Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment