Sunday, September 2, 2012

Choose.


“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

“But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ 

'We had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found!’” --Luke 15:21-24, 32

Every day I get a number of devotionals/ meditation in my Inbox. One of them-- except Sundays-- is from the United Church of Christ and is called Inward, Outward. These emails often shake me up so early in the morning and lead me to think. (gasp!)

This morning I had a gem from Gerald May's work, Addiction and Grace. Here is part of the quote:

"If our choice of God is to be made with integrity, we must first have felt other attractions and chosen, painfully, not to make them our gods.

"True love, then, is not only born of freedom; it is also born of difficult choice. A mature and meaningful love must say something like, 'I have experienced other goodnesses, and they are beautiful, but it is You, my true heart's desire, whom I choose above all.'

"We have to turn away before we can come home with dignity."

* * * * * 
After reading that about 27 times, I needed to take a walk, and I felt drawn to find a new place. So I hopped into the car ("Would you like to go exploring, Sherwood?" "Sure would!") and we headed to a part of the Metroparks I had never been in before.

It was amazingly quiet. Few cars, some bikers, and horses. (No, I will not tell you where it is.) 

As I walked,  I kept thinking about this, and about the prodigal child.

That child had it soooo good. But until he impudently asked for his half of the inheritance and took off in search of "the good life," he had no idea how good he had it.

This child was attracted to many things, shiny happy people and glittery things, thought they would bring him the love and joy he desired.

The child thought wrong.

* * * * *

I thought about how many people say they just love going down to the valley to walk, or how the Rocky Mountains always make them feel so close to the Creator.

So they strap on their super shoes, tuck their phone in their pocket so they don't miss a call, plug the earbuds into the iPod and crank up their favorite playlist.

Meanwhile, these little gods make sure the whisper of the Almighty will have a hard time reaching their ears.

I began to think about my own "little g" gods. My car has been known to be one of them. My laptop. Iced tea. . . . 

Those are the ones I am willing to share.

Take a look at your life. What have you found attractive-- fallen in love with, even-- that has insidiously (or blatantly) lured you away from the One who loves you most of all?


Max knows. He knows what it's like to return to the arms of someone who loves him most of all. He had allowed himself to be drawn by the lure of power and freedom-- and he returned. So can we.

Thank you, God, for being a God of second chances, and third chances, and . . . . We have tasted of the little gods this world offers-- but it is for you, Lord, that we hunger. It is for you we thirst. Amen.

Oh-- and now that you've read the blog? Take a break. Shut down the computer. The Almighty is calling. You. (Yes, you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment