Saturday, December 17, 2011

What if. . . ?

“‘For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. 12 As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. .  .  . I will save my flock, and they will no longer be plundered. . . . I will make them and the places surrounding my hill a blessing. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing." (From Ezekiel 34)

I am sitting here in my cozy living room, watching fat, fluffy snowflakes doing their best imitation of dancing sugarplums, and wondering. What if?

What if the Lord is reminding us of his many blessings-- in the snowflakes?

Imagine-- too many blessings to even begin to count. Each one a little different from all the others. Together, more beautiful than we can imagine. Everywhere! And sticking to us, clinging like cat hair to a pair of dark pants. . . .

Ever taken a blessing for granted-- or failed to see a blessing for what it is? 

Ever looked at all the beauty before you, perfect reminders of God's provision-- and grumbled because you had to shovel the "blessings" out of the way to get on with what is so very, very important in your life?

Slow down for a minute.

Step outside. (All right, grab a coat if you must. Shoes-- definitely.)

Tip your head back, and look up. If you're in my neck of the woods-- watch the flakes dance and swirl, in rhythm and time to some unheard music, perhaps played on the lyre by unseen angels. 

Go ahead. (Forget what Lucy Van Pelt told Linus-- they're ripe.) 

Open your mouth. Taste and see that the Lord is good.

Are the flakes sticking? Take a walk. Watch and listen as your feet work their way through the snow.

Stop and make a perfect imprint of your boot. (Too bad this is the only time we see those patterns!)

Ready . . . set . . . lean back, a-l-l-l-l-l the way, till you land (carefully) in the center of a pristine patch of powder. 

You remember how. Arms and legs, all together now. A Christmas angel in the snow. And just like the flakes, each one is a wee bit different, each one a reflection of the creator.

Ezra Jack Keats wrote a book about this. A Snowy Day. Peter knew just what to do. Snuggle up with your favorite little one and read this book together.

Seasons change, time marches on. But stop and look around you. The beauty and bounty of the Lord never fades, for those with eyes to see.

Blessed Advent! Merry Christmas! Happy Holy Days! Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment